Wednesday, August 8, 2012

DIY: Chiffon Fabric Pomander

SO! You've decided to ignore my warning and you want to know how to make fabric pomanders? Well, I am not about to reinvent the wheel. I used this tutorial from Fancy Nonsense to make mine!


However, I used chiffon to make mine... so I have a few suggestions:


Do you love the purple chiffon? Use Fabric.com (click here) -- love this company. Look for it when they have sales going on! I got the pewter gray ribbon at Amazon. 50 yards was way more than enough.

Invest in one of those pizza cutter looking fabric cutters to cut the strips of fabric. It was way easier to cut the fabric straight using those.

This is what I am talking about. Buy it here! Or go to any craft store. :)

I used a cardboard template that was 5 inches in diameter to cut my circles. I cut strips of fabric, folded it up then placed the template onto the fabric.  I then folded the corners of my folded fabric around the cirlce template and held it in place using paper clips. Using the clips made the template not slide around on the fabric while I was cutting through the multiple layers.

Invest in SHARP fabric scissor. Chiffon is difficult to cut, yo!

As the tutorial says, I used three chiffon circles per needle. However, the fabric is very flimsy so I used slightly smaller tulle netting circles as well to give the ball a bit more structure. I put the tulle circle inside the chiffon one so you could barely see the tulle once the chiffon circle was folded into corners.





Make one complete ball first to see how many fabric circles you will need per ball. I think I ended up needing around 40 needles per 3 inch styrofoam ball with three circles per needle.... SO 120 circles per ball. My goal was to do 16 balls... so almost 2000 circles needed to be cut. If you use a different type of fabric that is not as thin, then you might need fewer circles. So, test it out first for sure!

Use a fabric other than chiffon. It was so difficult to work with. I was going for that whole romantic look thing, but I am not sure it would have made a huge difference in the end to use another type of fabric. I have seen people use tissue paper, cupcake liners and fake flowers (just to name a few) to make pomanders and I have to say that I like the look of fabric pomanders a lot more. But, that's just my opinion! It did save me money using fabric instead of having the florist make real floral ones for me.  However, it would have saved me a whole bunch of afternoons of cutting circles if I have had the florist do something like this:

But, again - it would have cost me more to do that. FYI, it cost me about $210 to make 16 chiffon balls. I ended up using only 8 and it looked great, so you could do it for around $100 if you aren't having more than 120 guests! Good luck making your fabric balls!

No comments:

Post a Comment