Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Great balls of CHIFFON!

There is a gap of time in wedding planning if you decide on an engagement of longer than 1 year. This gap is called “The Idle Bride Vortex”. Oh yes, it is a real thing. How many brides have said, “Oh, all my vendors are booked. There’s really nothing to do before I order the save the dates and invitations!” Answer: Most of them. Now, how many of those brides are super involved DIYers? Based on my well-educated assessment, about 33.333%. That’s right, 33.333% of all brides are susceptible to being sucked into the “The Idle Bride Vortex”. Luckily, my friend Sarah is immune to having idle hands so I can see she clearly is going to make it through wedding planning without having any “silly-overly-thought-out, but-not–well-executed” wedding project.  

I, however, was sucked into that very vortex.

A bride's brain in the idle  bride vortex.

You see, when a bride enters into this vortex, she plans numerous DIY projects and rationalizes them (even the labor intensive ones) by thinking, “OH but I have so much time!” But out in the real world, groceries still have to be bought, dogs still have to be feed and PhD thesis projects still need to be done. Then, BAM. You have 3 months to go before the wedding and you still have that one labor intensive DIY project to finish.

For that would be my chiffon pomanders.



The last minute haste to get this project halfway done, led to me not particularly caring about perfection. However, my family who I had been politely grilling during the pre-wedding week for not making things perfect earlier decided this was a good moment to get me back. When I was cutting out the chiffon fabric circles, sometime the cuts were incomplete and two circles were stuck together. At that point, one of my family members would shout “QUALITY CONTROL” and make me come over and cut the circles apart. I deserved it. And plus, it was fun to joke around with them so much. I wish I have a picture of how awful my mom's living room looked with thousands of fabric circles everywhere!
I ended up having 8 of the 16 flower balls. I think I liked it better that way because it looked so nice placing the chiffon ball on every other row.

Picture borrowed from a friend.
Which just proves my point that it is not worth being sucked into the Idle Bride Vortex. So all you soon-to-be-married ladies, I suggest thinking twice before adding that cumbersome DIY project on your to-do list because you have “oh so much time”.

No comments:

Post a Comment