Sunday, April 22, 2012

Invitation: Making the RSVP card

I know it doesn’t seem like a big thing, but it was a mini project of its own to figure out what we wanted on the RSVP card. I have been told by SO MANY brides that people get really confused about how to fill out a RSVP card, so I tried to make it as easy as possible and to save myself some work as well.

Here’s a reminder of what they look like!



First, I put a RSVP date of June 1, 2012… three weeks before our wedding. It is supposed to be 2 weeks before the wedding traditionally, but it would be really nice to have counts before that. Our counts are due to all our vendors at 2 weeks, so it gives us some time to make calls in case someone forgets to send their RSVP card back.

Two: I heard from some other brides that, sometimes, people like to add in extra people to the guest list and it makes for tense conversations. I thought it would be safer to put exactly how many seats we had reserved for each party so there wouldn’t be any confusion.

Third: I got the idea to put “Names:” instead of the traditional “M___” because apparently the latter can be a bit confusing. Other brides found that their guests did not know that you are supposed to fill the “M___” in so it reads “Mr” or “Mrs” etc. Our wedding isn’t very formal anyway, so “Names:” works just fine, in my opinion.

Four: I made multiple lines for the names because I wanted people to feel free to list everyone coming to ensure we had the  correct spelling. Seeing that a few invitations were sent to a family where 10 people were included, I think all that line space was necessary!

Five: It is becoming very popular to NOT have the standard “Accept” and “Decline”. I wanted something a little fun and I know that many people who can’t make it will still be celebrating in spirit so “Will celebrate from afar” seemed just right! Here’s some examples of how crazy (in a good way!) others have gotten with their RSVPs:


From weddingbee


Six: I think my food icons are super cute! But, I guess they confused a few people. Um, I hope most people understand that you will not receive a whole cow or chicken… Mr. Barry, I am talking to you… J I wanted people to initial next to what they wanted. This is because we are having a seated dinner and I wanted to make sure you get the meal you wanted, even if multiple people from your party are coming.

Seven: You may not have noticed, but I wrote a little number on your RSVP card. I did this in case you did not put your name on the RSVP, then I would know who it came from. That number also has helped with regards to being able to organize who is coming in my excel file. I recommend doing this to any couple sending out a lot of invitations!

Lastly, I put something special on the back. I know not everyone was going to see it, but a few have…



I really want people to write us a little something. We want people to be involved and get excited because it is going to be an amazing day! And, in the process, Wes and I get reminders of what it takes to be a great couple. Also, I will use your notes as decoration on the wedding day. So, please fill out the back, as well, if you haven’t sent your RSVP back yet!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment