Saturday, April 7, 2012

Dressing up the sweetheart table

I have gotten a few more DIY projects done. These two projects were to jazz up the sweetheart table a bit. Did I mention that? Wes and I are having a sweetheart table instead of the bridal party table. We figured it was a good way to be sort of alone for 2.5 seconds and then we don’t have split dates away from our bridesmaids and groomsmen.


I don’t know why but I fell in love with initials at weddings. We aren’t using a monogram, but I really like the way M and W look together. (I know I'm silly... forgive me.) I have been seeing lots of initial projects around. I was thinking seriously about doing this yarn one:


Tutorial here.

But instead, I did a faux zinc finish.



I did this in 3 hours (including drying time) the night after I proposed my thesis dissertation. I got my letters from Craftcuts because they offered so many fonts. I bought the MDF unpainted letters in the font Baskerville Old Face. My ampersand is 8 inches tall and the "M" and "W" are 6 inches tall. They are all 3/4inches deep. I first painted the letters with black craft paint - let it dry - and then painted a thin layer of Folk Art Pearl White paint.




I also finished this project while Wes was gone on his bachelor party.




FYI: The guys went to Vegas and a good time was had by all! J

This was done using some of my favorite fonts: Albemarle and Albemarle Swash End. I printed it out and then used tracing paper to trace the image to these slate signs I found at Michaels. I used a white paint marker and then a white chalk pen to make it very pigmented. These will hang off the back of our chairs, in case you forget who we are and the big white dress and kissing doesn’t give it away. Sort of like this:

You can buy these ones here.

Very easy projects. I think tracing paper just became my new friend… I plan to use it in a few more projects…

Anyone else into make signs lately?

1 comment:

  1. Wow, this would certainly be a good addition to the household! You really did an amazing job with it; you even squeeze doing it right after proposing your thesis writing. Anyway, hope to see more DIY stuff from your blogs. I’m sure all of it would be doable in any household.

    ReplyDelete