Friday, July 20, 2012

Flower or no flower?

I was really pleased with my DIY projects! I had one more DIY fail, though, after the mercury glass situation. That would be my hair flower…

I had seen all these breathtaking photos of brides where their hair is adorned with beautiful hair flowers. I ordered some chiffon and organza fabric forever ago and thought I would try my hand at making one. I used this DIY tutorial that seem super easy and figured that it would turn out simply amazing. Here’s the final project:
My flimsy flower.


I tried to sew it to make it bunch up.

See the sparkle organza? 

Blah. Very underwhelming. I tried to put jewels in the middle and that didn’t look good. I filled the middle with some more petals. It was okay. Then I curled the ends of the material using a lighter. (Thanks Jenny for that tip!) That made it better, but I still didn’t LOVE it. I brought the flower with me to my first dress fitting and right then and there I knew that I really did NOT love it.

I looked around for some other options. I just couldn’t bring myself to buy anything because everything costed too much. I had my hair trial shortly after my fitting and I decided that a hair flower would be over kill and that my hair would go naked in during the reception. Then, literally a few days before we are supposed to leave for Michigan, I bought this lovely:
Gardenia hair flower by etsy seller dkdesigsnhawaii

Really beautiful. However, I was still concerned that adding a flower to my hair would be overkill, so I figured I would see how I felt on the day of the wedding.

Obviously, I wore the flower. How could I not!? I am definately the type that likes to keep things simple, but I think it added that little something to my attire that was just right for the reception. For any bride out there wondering about whether to add that glam hair piece or not, I say, if your dress is on the less complicated side then GO FOR IT!

It matched Wes’s corsage with gardenias perfectly.  

Two failed DIY projects seems like small potatoes when I think about all the others things that have turned out really well! I am determined to make beautiful DIY flowers, though. Someone else get married and let me make this bouquet for you!!!

A crafty lady from Weddingbee made this! WOAH.

2 comments:

  1. i think your flower looks lovely! you got some beautiful petal-like curl out of the flame. seems like all that makes it look different is perhaps the appearance of veiny texture that color gives the fabric?...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I saw this tutorial the other day that shows how to really make beautiful fabric flowers with those curls.

      http://www.creaturecomfortsblog.com/home/2012/4/3/diy-fabric-peony-flower-accessories-gift-toppers.html

      I think I am going to take mine apart and curl all the petals so I can use it from something else!

      Delete