Thursday, July 19, 2012

A slightly nontypical wedding shower

I was fairly adamant that I did not want a bridal shower. Somehow I ended up with 3. And, I’m glad no one listened to me! But, there is one reason in particular that I did not want a shower…

...because I didn’t want to sit in “the chair”.

I know I am a goof and I am loud at times. But, honestly most of that is because I am making up for the part of me that is really nervous about being looked at and scrutinized. Those chairs put you in the middle of the room are just so everyone can pay attention to you. That really freaks me out! I know, you are thinking, “Come on Megan. You are a jazzercise instructor for goodness sake. And, you present your scientific results at major conferences.” And, you are right. However, I am only able to do that because I try not to think about it too much. In Jazzercise, I am just working out with my friends. At Society for Neuroscience, I am focusing on how excited I am to be sharing my work. Also, I am not receiving gifts when I do those things. I feel super weird about getting gifts. I never know what the right thing to do is… Do I open it in front of them? What if that person was way too generous? How do I respond? Don’t get me wrong. I am so thankful for all of our wedding gifts. I am in awe of how thoughtful people were and all the beautiful things that were written in all those cards. I am grateful to all of you. And, I apologize if I am super awkward sometimes.

Case in point:




My mom and her wonderful friend Lynette put together this amazing day for me. It was a “personal” wedding shower instead of being your typical “give-a-blender”wedding shower. Which made it way more fun. I received such lovely things. And I would like to note, that I wore both dresses that Colby and Rachel got me, so that gift was perfect contrary to popular opinion that day.


The other gifts I received shall remain off the internet if that is okay with you!

The house was gussied up so nice. There were some rockin’ zebra stripped balloons, a nacho bar (YUM) and mini cheesecakes.


Lori and Lynette making those house pretty.

Cutting the cake... Poor Wes had to sit in the other room while the ladies hung out.





I think one of my favorite moments was opening my card from my sister. She is my big sister, so naturally, I search for her approval. Being separated in age and thus in the different positions in our lives, I feel like I have been searching for a closeness between my sister and I for years. Her card was so perfect. Just from that simple card, I felt from her what I had always wished was between us and, most likely, was always there.



It was really wonderful to spend that time with family and friends from Michigan that I don’t get to see very often. It was an afternoon that was essential to starting the week off right. From that point on, I felt myself more focused on relishing in the moment and enjoying the conversations and little details that make each one of my family member and friends such a joy in my life.



If I looked happy on my wedding day, it was partially due to being able to do that all week. (And largely because I was lucky enough to marry my better half.)

Photo by Kristen Taylor Photography


All photos were taken by my mother-in-law except the last one. Kristen Taylor gave me a sneek peak of some of my photos! http://www.kristentaylorblog.com/Index.cfm?postID=410

No comments:

Post a Comment