Friday, March 23, 2012

Fighting traditions

When I was first beginning to image what I would look like on my wedding day, I was very sure that I was NOT going to wear a veil. Veils bothered me. First of all, I have a hard time rationalizing spending the money for a piece of fabric glued to a hair comb. Also, I don’t like the idea of being portrayed as innocent, which maybe stems from working in a career where women aren’t always taken as seriously if they come off as too naïve or girly. I also don’t like the idea of being offered to the groom which historically is what the whole veil/blusher thing represented. And if we are being honest, I like going against the grain sometimes. Not wearing a veil was a good way for me to be nontraditional.

Yet, I find myself with a veil to wear on my wedding day! And, you want to know why? (Say yes.) Well, because wedding dress consultants at those fancy salons are VERY good at their job. My dress ended up being the first dress I tried on. I loved it, but I obviously wanted to compare it to others. After about ten dresses, I came back to the first one and the lady helping us snuck off to go grab wedding accessories to “jack” me up as they say on “Say Yes to the Dress: Atlanta”.

Anyone else seen every episode of this show?


 When she planted that veil on my head, I just felt so right. I loved everything about it. I was sold. Obviously, the consultants do that to because it makes you go ga-ga over your dress and buy it immediately. Well, it worked too well on me because I bought the dress and the same veil she put on me.

I have to admit, I laughed at myself a bit for getting so caught up in the moment that I bought the veil right then and there. I can’t really blame myself – veils can be super romantic…


 After taking some time to think about why I ended up with a veil, though, it occurred to me that I am wearing it because it makes me feel bridal. Veils don’t represent what they used to. They are used because it is a piece of fashion that can help highlight the bride. That is truly the most important part of selecting your wearing gear – whether those pieces make you feel special. I think a bride should wear whatever she wants to ensure she feels right. Whether it is traditional or not.

The good news is that I have had no dress or veil regrets even though I bought my dress two years ago. I have my first dressing fitting in early April so hooray for that!

No comments:

Post a Comment