Saturday, March 3, 2012

Cupcakes anyone?

A long time ago Wes and I decided that cake wasn't all that important. I don't know why, but we have never really been thrilled with wedding cake. We like cake a lot, don't get me wrong, but spending tons of money on decorated cake wasn't a priority. I was thinking that I would make some simple cakes myself and set them out on pretty cake stands, like these:



Then, my mom reminded me that I was putting a lot of work on myself the week before my wedding. I don't know when or why, but somehow after that we all started talking cupcakes. I was pretty sure I wanted to use a local bakery from my hometown so last June we drove down the road and picked up a whole array of flavors to try. My future mother in law was visiting Michigan for a girl's weekend so Wes wasn't there to try them but when we visited Michigan again in September he got to try all the flavors plus a few more.

What I like about doing cupcakes is that we can have lots of flavors at the wedding. I was thinking 5 flavors should do the trick. But, how to pick the flavors? Well, that sunny afternoon back in June I made my family sit down and vote on each cupcake flavor. There was some resistance at first, but no one can refuse cupcakes! 



It was lots of fun, although some people did NOT play by the rules... We were all supposed to vote from 1 - 10 with 10 being the best, but my brother gave negative scores, scores above 10 and also scores with decimal points. He was making us all laugh needless to say. The scoring system didn't work out very well because of my lovely brother, but there were some standout favorites.

 

I think we'll do a bride's choice, a groom's choice and then the other 3 will be the ones with the top scores. What do you think? Are you up for some tasty cupcakes?

3 comments:

  1. I think cupcakes is an amazing idea for so many reasons! My soon to be sister in law owns her own cupcake shop. They are to die for! So of coarse we are doing cupcakes also :D What flavors did you all decide on?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you are so lucky to have someone in the family who does cupcakes! I hope it saves you a little money! We decided on red velvet, lemon, chocolate with peanut butter buttercream frosting, chocolate with chocolate buttercream frosting and raspberry filling, praline which is toffee flavored and then old school vanila. My mouth is watering right now thinking about them! Which flavors did you end up picking?

      Delete
  2. Picking out flavors was so hard. They are all amazing and she has over 100 flavors to choose from. I have changed my mind so many times!{smiles} But for now this is what we ended up picking...Dark Chocolate Raspberry, Key Lime Pie, Classic Vanilla, Classic Chocolate, Cherry Limeade, Red Velvet (change color to light blue to match wedding color) and Apple Pie ala Yum :)


    Here is her website and facebook page...if you want to check it out just for fun :)

    http://amescupcakes.com
    http://www.facebook.com/AmesCupcakes

    ReplyDelete