Saturday, September 1, 2012

Afterthoughts: Trying out hair and makeup

A long long time ago, I decided to have a hair stylist and makeup professional do my hair and makeup. I am pretty good with updos and smokey eyes, but I wanted to feel special on my wedding day.

 I was super prepared for the hair and makeup trial. I brought Sara (the hair gal) and Jenny (the makeup gal) all kinds of pictures off the internet and from magazines. Most of my favorirtes were from magazines but here's a few from the internet:

Pretty hair found on ProjectWedding
 

Pretty eye makeup found on SMP
 

And… here’s what they did!





All personal photos.
 

Overall, I really like it. But, I didn't love it. My hair bump was really poofy so I smashed it down a bit after we left and I liked it a lot better. I looked back at these pictures before the wedding and decided I love the back of my hair but wasn't feeling the front.

 As for the makeup, it looks really really good in photos. Only, in person, it looked very glam. Too glam. I loved the eyeshadow, but I think I wanted softer eyeliner underneath my eyes. Also, she used lots of bronzer and I just hate that look on me. It looks like I am trying too hard to not be ghostly white. I did not like the lipstick she used, so I ended up wiping it off and putting on a color I had picked out (I am wearing it in the pictures).  Part of me thinks it all seemed really severe because I am not used to seeing myself like that. However, I spent lots of time in stage makeup as a dancer and the makeup still seemed like too much. I don’t want to look funny to people when they see me in person. While photos are important to me, I also wanted to look beautiful in person as well. I think part of the problem was that Jenny gave me the makeup from only one picture I showed her, but in reality I wanted the eyes from one, the cheeks from another and the lips from a third. Very confusing I'm sure.

So, I made a few changes for the wedding day:
 
1. Pull my hair back.
2. Make the curls even more piecey and "free".
3. Pick one picture of makeup that I liked.
 
And.... (drumroll)... I loved everything about my wedding day look. See?
 

Wes and I laugh at this photo because it looks like we are selling cologne or something, but I love that it shows off my DIY bracelet!

Now we are selling perfume... :)



All photos by Kristen Taylor Photography
 
The hair was amazing. The makeup was softer than before and it lasted all night. Sara and Jenny are amazing. (Contact Sara here.) They also did all the bridesmaids' hair and our mothers' hair and makeup. We all felt pretty divine.
 
So, what are my afterthoughts? GET A TRIAL (or two) DONE FOR SURE! You never know whether you are going to like it or not until you try it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment