Friday, September 23, 2011

Staying fit in Finland: Part 2

Okay, I exercised maybe twice a week in Finland, but I did supplement by hiking! To continue in my “Staying fit in Finland” series where I sneak in photos of Finland into my blog, I would like to show you two of my adventures!

Early during my time in Finland, I went blueberry picking out in the woods surrounding Jyvaskyla with my friend Miriam and one of Miriam’s lovely friends. Miriam gave me a bike to use while I was in Finland. We biked about 5 kilometers outside of the city. Then, we hiked up a hill and wandered off the beaten path.


It took some time to find berries because they were picked over. These crazy ant hills were everywhere, though.

Eventually, we did find some. They grow like carpet over the forest floor.


We were very focused on blueberry picking (as you can tell by my purple hand) so we may have gotten lost a little, but Miriam found our way out.


Hooray, I made it!

For my last weekend in Finland, I asked Mika and Miriam to go hiking with me in a National Park. My camera battery was dead, so the following are all Miriam’s pictures.


A purple mushroom!



We hiked for 1 hour then made a fire to cook some Finnish sausage…yeah, you're jealous.
Mika chopping wood.


Pondering great things.

The ladies made fire...

Mmm sausage.

We hiked out to a little bit of land that extended out into one of Finland’s many lakes.



When then hiked back and admired these geologic features called kettle holes – large holes that glaciers cut out of the earth.




Lichen. It made the ground look like gray snow.

Another lichen?



Kettle hole!

Besides that, I also walked to work and back every day and didn’t eat fast food at all. Okay, maybe once because I had to try to the Finnish version of McDonalds. All in all, I think I was active enough! I am thankful that I get to start Jazzercise back up again soon because another week without it and I might be singing a different tune.

I know that other people very dear to me are also trying to stay fit and/or shed some excess pounds for many different reasons, but partially because our wedding is coming up. So, I would like to take a moment to say GO MOM, GO ANA, GO BM NICOLE and… GO WES!

Correction: Wes just informed me that he is getting fit for the honeymoon, not the wedding. My bad. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment