Monday, October 8, 2012

Let's get this started!

Waking up the morning of your wedding day is a surreal experience. I was thinking, "OH, well this is it!" I felt very ready for June 22, 2012.

Remember this? We've come a long way! My personal photo.



I woke up at 7am because I still hadn't finished my vows... I know, I know. But, I finished them with Wes sleeping in the other room. Wes rolled out of bed at 8am and we had a fruit and bagel breakfast ready for people by 9am. My mom and some of my side of the bridal party came over and ate with me. But, by 10am I was anxious to get things set up.

I don't think I stopped running the whole morning. My friends and family were so very very helpful, though. My mom and bridesmaids set up most of the ceremony and I remember them asking me if the window frames were in the right spot every 5 minutes. It was so clear that they cared that it was perfectly how I imagined it in my head. But, the nice thing about a rustic yet elegant wedding theme is that things can be a little off and it looks like it is supposed to be that way.


 
 

I was so surprised that we were done setting up most of the stuff up by 12pm. I was also so surprised that I wasn't interested in the micromanaging that morning. I didn't want to be obsessed, so "I don't care, just make it look beautiful!" became my motto. Dennis from "The Whole 9 Yards" who put up the fabric on the ceiling told me that I was the most relaxed bride he had ever seen. I thought that was such a lovely compliment. And, it was true for the most part, I was relaxed by 11am when I realized that everything was going to get done on time. And, if it didn't get done, then it didn't matter. I look back at pictures and see little things that could of have used the final Megan-overly-obsessed-perfect touch, but 3 months after the wedding... it doesn't matter anymore. I am glad I let those things slip away from being important.

What was important was feeling wonderful. I certainly accomplished this. Did Wes? I think so. He seemed to be anxious about getting the cupcake stands done, which I dropped on his lap to finish that morning with his groomsmen. But, I know for a fact that they also broke into the water obstacle course on the lake and had a grand ol' time with his groomsmen.

 
The ladies spent the morning and afternoon taking turns getting ready. The wonderful Sara and Jenny did our hair and makeup over the course of 5 hours. We talked about normal things, as if a wedding wasn't really happening that day and I appreciated that so much. The women from Wes's family also spent the afternoon with us. Three generations of beautiful and strong women in one room. And, I am pretty sure we all felt beautiful. I clearly remember how Ana, Wes's mom, was shining from within that day. I wanted everyone to feel special and wonderful, particularly my momma. She always needs convincing that she is a knock out and I hope she knows how radiant she is... I think she knew that day. I show off my weddings photos off a lot and people always comment on how beautiful my mom is... and I say, I know. To me, my mom was just my mom that day and not the victim of a difficult year but someone who came out of a hard experience on top of the world.

Photo by Mrs. Kat Brooks




One by one the ladies put on their frocks. I was so glad to see that Kat, Wes's step mom, treated herself to a lovely new dress. She deserve just as much as anyone to be glamorous and be honored for helping to shape a wonderful man. The gray cocktail dresses that each bridesmaid picked out looked amazing on everyone. I was so glad that I requested that they each pick their own style. It helped to emphasize that they weren't just my maids, they are unique women who all amazing in their own ways. And then there was one last person to get dressed...



By 3pm, I was ready to become a bride!

**All Photos by Kristen Taylor Photography unless noted otherwise.

No comments:

Post a Comment